Community

Posted 3w ago by @gardengnome2024

I recently got a peace Lily. I know that they are toxic t...

#PeaceLily
6ft to light, indirect
7” pot without drainage
Last watered 4 days ago
They are absolutely fine for humans and honestly my cat ate mine a few times and he's perfectly fine. But you will realize they aren't toxic like you think
@geor
3w ago
When a plant is labelled toxic, this usually refers to ingestion. Meaning if you were to eat any part of the plant or its foliage, you would get sick. I don't love the other comment mentioning that their cat was fine after eating, as I have heard horror stories of emergency vet trips due to cats eating peace lilies specifically, I think this person was just lucky or perhaps they have a large cat that was able to tolerate the amount that it ate. Keep out of reach of children and pets, but you are fine to handle the plant. Hope this helps :)
Yes, peace lilies (Spathiphyllum wallisii) are mildly poisonous to humans and animals, and all parts of the plant are toxic. The plant contains small, insoluble calcium oxalate crystals that can cause irritation if chewed or swallowed. Symptoms can include:
Humans: Burning or tingling in the mouth, swollen lips and tongue, oral pain, rashes, inflammation, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and difficulty swallowing
Animals: Drooling, mouth pain, stomach irritation, and airway discomfort
@gardengnome2024 Audree I think you still getting conflicting info on here too! 😝. I have tons of peace lilies in my home and I have repotted lots of times without gloves. And I have a cat in my home. We are fine.. so I think?? πŸ€” no we good.. Only tip I might give here is your plant card info says this is in a pot without drainage. You need to changed to one with drainage and a saucer under it. They are dramatic on needing water when it droops. And you don’t want root rot in the container you have now. You got this! πŸ™ŒπŸ»πŸ˜Keep us posted on progress. Welcome to Greg!
@CourtlyKingfern thank you!