Posted 1Y ago by @sarahhjonesy

anyone know what kind of plant this is?

4” pot
Last watered 1 year ago
It's definitely a philodendron. I wonder if it's a young Xanadu. οΏΌ

EDIT: yep, Xanadu gets my vote.οΏΌ
It looks like what they call a peace lily but cannot be sure , if
I find out for sure I’ll let you know πŸ€”
Hi hunnie it’s a calla lily, also referred to sometimes as a peace lily, due to the fact that it can can be a common sight at European funeral services and are also associated with Easter, being a flower that symbolises resurrection and innocence. Plants will bloom their white flowers from late summer into autumn. Although grown across most of the world, the calla lily is native to southern African nations. The toxicity of the calla lily comes from the insoluble calcium oxalate crystals in its sap, which is common among all of the plants in the Araceae family. The sap can be found throughout the plant, but concentrates in its roots, stems, and leaves, meaning that curious adults or children who take a bite of this plant may experience poisoning symptoms, including a strong burning feeling in the mouth, throat, tongue, and lips, excessive salivating, and even throat swelling and dysphagia in a worsened stage. The ripe berries produced by calla lily also look very seductive, which could solicit mistaken consumption.
Large ingestion of calcium oxalate crystals could result in severe dyspepsia, dysphagia, and even convulsion, kidney failure, coma, and death. While poisoning cases are usually treatable, the kidney damage that they cause is irreversible.
Toxicity in Animals
The calla lily is toxic to all mammals, including cats, dogs, and horses, due to the insoluble calcium oxalates that can be found throughout the plant. However these same compounds give the calla lily a bitter taste, while making the plant immediately irritative to the mouth. Although this means that it's rarely consumed in large quantities, there are still numerous reports of poisoning cases caused by curious pets.
The symptoms of calla lily poisoning for pets from mistaken consumption are similar to those of humans, meaning salivating, throwing up, losing their appetite, breathing with difficulty, or experiencing diarrhea. Of course, other plants in the Araceae family can cause similar symptoms too. If you notice any of the above, consult with your veterinarian immediately.
To avoid the risk of mistaken consumption, avoid growing the calla lily in your garden, and avoid decorating your home with the fresh cut flowers. However, if you truly love this plant, it's recommended that you pick a few petit varieties and grow them dangling from aerial pots. As for outdoors or garden culture, you could try growing them in an enclosed fence. This plant, calla lily, contains toxic chemicals throughout the plant. Direct contact or accidental ingestion may risk symptoms of discomfort and poisoning. This plant symbolises Fraternity, holiness, devotion, purity and is the national plant of Ethiopia, how there is a story that accompanies this plant , According to legend, the calla lily was a girl in love. The girl was waiting for a boy who went out. While waiting, the girl prayed that the boy would return as soon as possible and that their love would last forever. The girl envied the horse that took the boy away, and she wished she could accompany the boy just like the horse was able to, and so she became the calla lily , or what the Chinese call the "horse hoof lotus". Sadly they are prone to aphids and more strangely although this plant is poisonous it’s classified as a herb 😱😱😱😱 hope this helps x
Woah, @Ezzie67 I didn't read all that you typed, but I concede. Cala lilies are different than peace lilies though.

Cala lilies like boggy soil peace lilies don't mind drying out a bit.

How did you learn so much about Cala lilies?! Your knowledge is incredible!οΏΌοΏΌοΏΌοΏΌοΏΌ
Ty I’m just one of those people If I get something I wanna know as much as possible about it , but you should read the story about the calla lily it’s great x